So most of you have probably already watched the premier of AHS season 6. This season was kept under wraps and the only clues to what this season would be about came through cryptic 30 second teasers. The more you searched on the internet about it, the more obscure it became. I used to always tune in or at least catch up on it on my days off (thank you DVR!). As the seasons progressed, the more I lost interest. Coven, season 3, was were I basically stopped watching. It was boring and it seemed to drag on and on. On the season finale, they tried to wrap everything up so quickly that I forgot who was who and who could do what. It was a mess! Season 4 seemed to be promising since it teased taking place at a carnival. I mean, what's scarier than a creepy carnival? But alas, my hopes were dashed as soon as Jessica Lange started singing "Life on Mars" by David Bowie. This season is supposed to take place in the 50's and yet the characters are singing modern day songs. I am aware that Ryan Murphy also created Glee but I didn't expect to have Glee in my AHS. This season also seemed to drag on with no end in sight until it, too, decided to wrap up everything all at once. Season 5, frankly, was forgettable. Lady Gaga was amazing in it but the lack of Jessica Lange definitely showed.
Being a screenwriter, I understand the importance of pacing. You want to keep the audience captivated but you don't want to give away too much so that they will come back next week for more. A more recent series showed that you can have great pacing in as little as 8 episodes. Stranger Things on Netflix grabbed us in during the first episode and kept us wondering what was going to happen next. It wrapped everything up nicely on the final episode and also presented us with a clue to a potential season 2. If, for some reason, they weren't able to produce a second season, the series would have ended perfectly with no loose ends. AHS gives us season after season with 12-15 episodes but yet, some of those episodes aren't necessary for story progression. These "filler" episodes sidetrack the story and end up raising more questions than they answer. Who is this new character that you're introducing us to in the 9th episode? Why are they important to the story? Why are they suddenly taken away in the next episode? Why, why, why, why, why?!
Despite my skepticism, I tuned in on Wednesday to see the premier of this "secret" season 6. It started off as one of those "It Happened to Me" type shows that you would see on ID, SyFy, TLC, etc. It started out interesting since it didn't show the AHS logo nor did it play the iconic opening music. I was drawn in to the story of this couple through their retelling of an event as well as the dramatic interpretation of it. What got me, though, was how the first episode ended. Seeing as how they choose to go a different route with the series, I was thinking that each episode would feature a new story. Unfortunately, they ended with us wondering what was going to happen next. That was the final straw for me. It didn't seem new and original. It didn't draw me in to see what would happen next week. For me, it felt like when Resident Evil 6 came out. It seemed promising but did not deliver... although if Ryan Murphy wanted to do a collab with Capcom and make a new Resident Evil... I'd be down for that!
TL:DR : I won't be watching AHS 6.
No comments:
Post a Comment