10) Obscure
If you liked the movie "The Faculty," you will love this game. I played this for the first time back in college (around 2007/2008) thanks to my friends John and Barb and their Xbox. The game mechanics are great. You play as several different students, all with different abilities. You can roam around solo or with a partner and you can also add another player to control your partner. What makes this game memorable is that it has the mechanic where if one of your partners or MCs die, they are gone for the rest of the game. You cannot revive them but you can heal them if they're on the brink of death. The story is great, the graphics still hold up, and it's just an overall fun/scary game to play. The best part of the game, though, is the music. I highly recommend finding a playlist via youtube where you can just get lost in the music. It's so eerie, yet so beautiful.
9) Bully (Canis Canem Edit)
Ever feel like your high school sucked? Well, consider yourself lucky compared to Jimmy Hopkins' experience. His mom recently gets married and decides to leave him at Bullworth Academy while she goes on a year long cruise. The kids at school try to pick fights with him since he's the new kid. Then there's Gary, the sociopath who wants to take over the school, using Jimmy as his puppet to do so. This game as everything; social groups, dating, running from the cops, pranking, sneaking into the girls' dorm, wedgies, and even a cool/weird carnival. This is like a typical Rockstar game but more PG-13 rated. You complete missions to advance the game. You build up your stats or go to class to enhance your abilities. You take a bag of dog poo and set it on fire to mess with your horrible coach. I've played this game so many times that I practically know it all by heart. I never get tired of it.
8) Max Payne
This trailer does not do the game justice at all! It just touches the surface of what is a great game. I remember playing this game while I was in high school (senior year). After work, I'd stock up on Slim Jims and Mountain Dew (typical gamer fuel) and attempt to beat this game. I eventually ended up beating it in college when my roommate's boyfriend watched and offered advice while I played the final level. Now, the game's graphics haven't aged well like some other games but the story is what makes it worth playing over. Max Payne is a police officer who ends up on the wrong end of a robbery. His wife and newborn baby are killed as a result of his interference. Drowned in grief and self loathing, he attempts to find those responsible for his family's death. This game plays out like a Noir film and even uses comic style graphics in between screens to keep the story going. Best yet, THE BULLET TIME!!!!!! Bullet time is kind of like something out of "The Matrix." Once full, the player can activate this special ability to allow Max to dodge bullets and shoot at the same time in slow motion. The accuracy is phenomenal. I once tried uploading a video of myself playing this game and showing off this feature. I ended up using Bullet Time right as a train was coming and accidentally flung myself into its path. Unfortunately, I didn't have the set-up quite right so I ended up missing that footage.
7) Fatal Frame
First off, I am so sorry for the lack of subtitles in this trailer. This game originally premiered in Japan, hence the Japanese. This game is one of those games I try to attempt to play at night with the lights out..... It never works. I'm not much of a chicken when it comes to horror related things. This game, however, takes the cake! You play as a young woman who is trying to find her brother. You come across this camera, rightfully called the "Camera Obscura," which has the ability to photograph ghosts. As you go deeper into this house, you find some hostile and non hostile ghosts. The ones who are hostile, you must use your camera to defeat them. This mechanic involves shifting into first person view and attempting to get the ghost into the right position to defeat them quickly. The ghost design is great, the puzzle are fair enough, and the overall feeling of the game is amazing. I recommend this to anyone who wants to pretend to be a ghost hunter without having to actually come into contact with any ghosts.
6) Man Hunt
Talk about blood and gore galore! This game was one of the first to be mega banned in various places. Set in a city similar to Rockstar's San Andreas, if not within the city limits, this game is all about huntin' and killin'! I haven't had the opportunity to play it myself (thank you Steam for not adapting it properly to PC) but I have seen awesome people like Two Best Friends play it. The kills are amazingly brutal and to be able to determine the level of brutality was a first for the PS2. There was even a microphone plug in that forced you to be quiet in order to sneak around and kill people. Man, I really need to just buy a copy for my ole PS2.... searching Amazon now....
5) Klona
This game was my JAM back in the day. I absolutely loved the character design and the music that accompanied it. I originally played it on a demo disc (OMG those PS1 demo discs!) and I couldn't get enough of it. Eventually, my mom had to buy me a copy because I kept renting it from Blockbuster and she got tired of the rental fees. You begin as Klona and you are having a weird dream. When you awaken from the dream, you find out that it's actually happened. Your grandfather sends you on an adventure with your buddy Kupo, who lives in a ring, and off you go! I've never had the chance to officially beat it but I came close to on the Wii. I do own a copy on my PS3 so I will eventually sit down and play it again to see how it ends. If you like adorable animal like creatures, vibrant scenery, and gibberish speaking characters (for the love of God do not get the Wii version since it gave them actual voices), then pick this up in the PS store!
4) Soul Blade
Anyone trying to step up to me on this video game will get the smackdown. I am the unofficial Queen of Soul Blade. With my man, Siegfried, I am unstoppable. I am also well versed with the other characters but Sig's my man! I played this a few times at an arcade in Virginia Beach when I was on vacation with my friend's family. I threw my quarters at it, almost at the last boss. While searching for one last quarter, a little kid (and little kid, if you read this... I'm coming for ya!) came up and kept pressing the start button. We tried to shoo him away but alas, it was game over for me. If the opening credits don't grab you then pack this into an envelope and send it my way. I loved the 80's feel of it. The character selection was great for its time and you could unlock so many costumes and weapons for them. You could complete a "story mode" where you learn more about a characters backstory and help them destroy (or obtain) Soul Edge. This game is great for playing with friends with a couple of brews! Once you get started, you're not going to want to stop!
3) Tony Hawk Pro Skater
This game made me want to ditch my girlie looks and go full tomboy to join the skating circuit. I bought my first skateboard, in fact, after playing this game. Did I really do anything with it? Nah! I do have a few scars on my legs from when I beefed it hard on the streets of Philly. I figured after that, I would just stick with video game skating. My mom got me this as a Christmas present and at first, I wanted to trade it in because I didn't like sports games. EB Games (yeah, we're that old school) wouldn't take it back for full price, offering us $.5 for it. RIPOFF! I told my mom that I would just keep it and I'm glad I did. From the get-go, you are thrown into a skating park/garage where you are to perform a bunch of tricks in order to pass to the next level. The music, AMAZEBALLS! The stunts, MIND-BLOWING! The graphics.... eh, good enough for its time. My friend and I would always play as Rune Glifberg, always getting our meter high enough to do the Christ Air. We would always play it on her little black and white TV with the sound down low so her parents didn't hear us playing (because video games were considered as a way that the Devil would get hold of us.... yep, her parents were uber religious). I still bust it out when I'm feeling nostalgic.
2) Tomb Raider
My girl, Lara Croft, back in the hiz-house! ::clears throat:: Pardon me for my 2000 lingo! I was a big fan of Tomb Raider back in the day because there weren't a lot of kickass female leads in video games. I came across a copy of Tomb Raider II from a friend and we had so much fun trying to beat it together. I wasn't very good at action games at the time (today I'm all "cash me owside, how bah dah") but I had fun trying to navigate the obstacles and trying to shoot the enemies. Eventually, we decided I was better at the puzzles and she was better at shooting enemies. Even better was when you got to tour her mansion and lock the butler in the freezer. Good times, good times. I recommend playing this and then playing the reboots that came out for PS3/4 and Xbox 360/one. You'll get to see where she started out and then how she's still going strong!
And last but certainly not least....
1) Resident Evil
I am a diehard Resident Evil fan. I started from the bottom and now I'm herre... herre meaning RE7. I'm not as good with the original as I am with the remake but I still had fun nonetheless. I still jump whenever I hear the glass break and the dogs come running in while you're in the hallway. Of course, who could forget the chessy voice actors and scenes. Oh man, what a time to be alive! I usually played as Jill because she had more item slots but now that I've been playing the remake more, I like playing as Chris (ohhhh Chris... my how you've grown in RE5.... I-I... I love you). The enemies were scary for the time and the fact that you could see blood when you shot them... pure gold! This was a game I had to BEG my parents to let me play because of its rating. I am still thankful for them to this day for saying yes. Also, if you haven't played any of the other games, you can purchase them on the PS store or Xbox store. Steam has some of the games but doesn't have 2 or 3. There is also a rumor going around that 2 and 3 are getting remade but that's been going around for years. At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.
Alright, so here you have it! These are some of the classics I turn to on rainy days, snowy days, lazy days... practically any day I feel nostalgic. Got a favorite that you love to play? Let me know in the comments below!
Also, sorry for the delay in posts. I just started graduate school and classes have had me super busy. Mix that with working for shifts to make more money and I'm spent by the time the weekend comes around. I promise I'll be better with updating and whatnot! :* kisses!
No comments:
Post a Comment