Thursday, June 9, 2016

Review of "Dream Girl Awakened" by Stacy Campbell

This was one of the books that I chose to read after reading a synopsis of it off the Street Fiction site. The story is about a group of people connected in unique ways. You begin with Aruba and James, a married couple who seem to be in a rough patch in their marriage. Aruba is fed up with James and his lack of employment and she decides to take matters into her own hands. She schemes to take what she believes is hers; her best friend Victoria's husband. Victoria is married to Winston, a prominent cardiologist, though she takes his wealth and status for granted. Pushing away because she feels that he doesn't truly love her, she ends up driving Winston into Aruba's arms. James, feeling discontented after Aruba leaves him, hooks up with a woman named Tawatha. He lies to her, making her think that Aruba is on the brink of dying from breast cancer and that she will be his after her funeral. What happens when the truth finally comes out for everyone? All of these stories intertwine with each other, making for an exciting and dramatic read.

What I really loved most about this novel was how much love was put into each character. Campbell customizes each in such a way that you can relate to all of them. In having such a large ensemble of characters, it can be hard to make them even remotely likable. It's interesting how she can weave the stories together but also keep them from becoming confusing. I could put the book down for a week and when I picked it back up, I knew exactly what was going on. You can try to predict what will happen but Campbell has a way of tricking you and revealing the true intentions of the characters. I found myself crying towards the end of the story and wanting more. Good thing there's a sequel to the story and I am currently making my way through it.

I would definitely give this a 4.5 out of 5.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment